Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Need For Patient Referrals

A number of recent visitors to my blog have asked why they require a physician referral to see me rather than simply telephoning themselves to make their own appointment. The reason is both simple and very important and has to do with continuing care.

Eventually and hopefully under treatment your problem will clear up completely or at least be sufficiently improved that nothing further needs to be done through my office. At this point, I will send your back to the referring doctor for continuing care.

As I do not do continuing care I need to ensure that your family physician is looped into all the various steps along the way. That would usually include a report outlining the diagnosis, the recommended treatment, copies of the questionnaires filled out on the initial visit and repeated after a course of the recommended treatment.

When it comes to most bladder control problems, continuing care is key and again for that reason, I require everyone who comes to see me have a referral from their family doctor. Remember, your care is a partnership and the better the communication between your family doctor and myself is the better your overall care will also be.

Regards,

Dr. Himel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are You Looking For Help With Bladder Control Problems? Maybe I Can Help!

I have been an Obstetrician-Gynecologist for most of my life. In 1999 until my retirement, I ran a gynecological office practice whose main thrust was the non-surgical treatment of incontinence. I was achieving improvement or cure rates of over 60%.

I was encouraged by fellow physicians (who saw this serious issue with few non-surgical options) to return to my practice.

If you have a male or female incontinence issue and want to discuss non-surgical management, feel free to contact me directly. I only see patients by physician referral.